Typhoon threatens, so all scouts in South Korea leave camp.

Due to an impending typhoon, the World Scout Jamboree in South Korea has been called off early.

A number of nations, including the UK, had previously withdrawn from the international tournament due to the camp’s unsanitary conditions and excessive heat.

The head of UK Scouts, Matt Hyde, expressed his disappointment in the organizers and said that UK activities had been put off for years.

He said that the location now posed a health danger.

The World Scout Jamboree, which attracted over 40,000 young people, has been dogged by issues from the outset.

Local media reported that scouts from the UK were among the hundreds of people who were unwell in the 35-degree heat.

The largest contingent, 4,500 British individuals, landed at the encampment in Saemangeum, close to the town of Buan, last week but were moved to hotels in Seoul on Saturday.

Additionally, the US and Singapore have already withdrawn their teams from the camp.

The South Korean government will offer information about the planned departure and the locations where people who are still in Saemangeum will stay, according to the World Scout Jamboree organizers, who announced this on Monday.

Mr. Hyde claimed that although there had been some progress, it was “too little, too late,” despite the UK Scouts having repeatedly voiced their concerns.

Four red lines involving a lack of shade, food for individuals with dietary needs, inadequate sanitation, and insufficient medical services were crossed at the site, he noted.

We frequently voiced some of these issues before we traveled and while we were there, and we were assured that things would be put in place, but they weren’t, he said. We feel the organizers failed us, he continued.

If you can picture being used by tens of thousands of people and not being cleaned as frequently as you might expect, you can imagine what people were witnessing.

The Scout Association spent nearly £1 million of its reserves to relocate 4,500 people, according to the chief executive.

He said we had obligations to those reserves, so we are obviously unable to carry out the plans we had for the next three to five years.

The jamboree, dubbed the largest youth camp in the world, brings together scouts from all over the world once every four years, every time in a different country.

The majority of attendees are between the ages of 14 and 18, and 155 nations are represented in South Korea.

It was scheduled to last through August 12 and is the first jamboree since the outbreak.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *